We understand how hard it is to break away from the craziness of life and into the time and space to do what really matters.
We understand how important it is for individuals, families, youth, and adults to find meaningful experiences that promote discovery and growth.
We understand how vital it is to be a part of a community where people are brought together to join in the gift of grace as equal, lovable and capable children of God.
As a wilderness adventure camp that offers year-round wilderness trips and retreats, our mission is to welcome everyone into unique experiences of community and adventure, equipping people to step outside their comfort zones and experience God’s grace.
Our rustic and secluded site sits on the Wisconsin south shore of Lake Superior, an easy half-hour drive east of downtown Duluth, MN.
We are a member of Lutheran Outdoor Ministries (the organization of ELCA affiliated camps and retreat centers) and proudly accredited by the American Camp Association.
We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit, owned and operated by the Camp Amnicon Foundation, a community of donors, volunteers, and supporters that are dedicated to making sure you have the opportunity to experience “grace beyond your comfort zone.”
The Mission of Amnicon is to equip people to experience
Grace Beyond Their Comfort Zone
through adventure-centered programming, life in Christian community, and access to wild places in God’s creation.
Click play to see some of the ways we live out this mission!
our CORE VALUES
At Amnicon we…
- Welcome people just as they are, valued and loved by God.
- Foster Christ-centered community that affirms the individual and builds meaningful relationships.
- Promote growth, confidence, and change through wilderness challenge and adventure-based camping.
- Model and teach stewardship of God’s creation and nurture of nature.
- Provide Christian programming that helps participants find faith on the trail and equips them to navigate life’s challenges.
- Develop and train competent staff who plan and lead fun and safe wilderness experiences.
Some of the especially important ways we live out our values include:
- Accepting, welcoming, and including individuals within a wide range of faith and spiritual beliefs (or lack thereof), Christian or otherwise.
- Partnering with a wide variety of faith-based, community, social service, and outdoor-based organizations that share in one or more of our values, regardless of whether or not those organizations identify as Christian or religious.
- Accepting, welcoming, and including LGBTQ individuals and groups. We do our best to provide the unique facility accommodations desired by each transgender guest.
- Recognizing that we own land and have adopted words as our own that first belonged to the indigenous communities that called our land home. We recognize that our native communities were unjustly excluded from this and we are in the process of building education and reconciliation into the life of our organization.
- Providing free and accessible opportunities for communities of color, recent immigrant communities, and other under-served or marginalized communities so they can experience growth through wilderness adventure.
- Working to care for and steward the land that we own and waters that surround us, as well as making decisions and operating in a way that promotes environmental sustainability for all of creation and fights climate change.
adventures for all
Going into the wilderness together as a small group is one of the best ways for people to grow personally, for groups to bond strongly, and for everyone to encounter God in totally amazing and unique ways.
With it’s large, cozy gathering room and beautiful views of the Amnicon River valley, this rustic lodge is a great space for your church group to bond, your family to gather for holidays, or your work team to brainstorm.
The experience of hermitage – personal retreat – is gaining popularity as people recognize the need to take time for renewal. In our hectic world, hermitage provides a space free of distraction to slow down the pace of life, restore balance, wander, think, and pray
did you know?
our land is protected forever
We’ve set aside some of our land, protected from development. Forever.